Running and Clumping Bamboo UK: There are several running and clumping bamboos that thrive in the UK.
In this article, we identify the common bamboos you can grow in pots or in the garden in a temperate climate.
The two common types of bamboo plants are clumping bamboo and running bamboo. Each has more than 10 – 20 varieties that do well in a temperate climate.
How to know the bamboo that is suitable for you
To know the bamboo that is suitable for you, it is important to know the different varieties. Many bamboos are invasive, others prefer shade and are better suited to pots and containers, whereas some are best as outdoor plants.
Here are four clumping bamboo UK and five running bamboos that are ideal for growing in gardens and pots, all year round in the UK. (Note: We identified these bamboos based on the number of Google search interests).
Clump-forming (clumping) bamboos
- Fargesia murieliae ‘Rufa’ (Umbrella Bamboo) produces clusters of small leaves on orange and green stems (or culms). This clumping bamboo is tolerant of both sun and shade and is best planted away from windy sites.
- Fargesia papyrifera (Blue Dragon) is quick-growing and tall upright clumping bamboo, with the most peculiar blue cane colouration, prefers a shaded area and grows well in partly shaded locations.
- Fargesia robusta ‘Pingwu’ is a low-maintenance clumping bamboo suitable for full sun or partial shade. It is evergreen dense foliage is ideal for a narrow screen.
- Fargesia nitida (Chinese Fountain Bamboo) is an upright clumping bamboo with narrow canes that arch at the top. This fantastic clumping bamboo can grow up to 4m in length and 3m wide. Can do pretty well in pots and containers.
- Phyllostachys vivax Aureocaulis (Golden Chinese Timber Bamboo) is a pretty impressive running bamboo you can grow in the UK. Its peculiar canes come in colours ranging from bright yellow with green stripes, to green with shiny yellow stripes or all green.
- Pleioblastus viridistriatus is a fast-growing, dwarf-running bamboo with green stripes. This hardy small ornamental bamboo grows to a maximum of a metre. Ideal for sun, part shade or shade locations.
- Phyllostachys flexuosa (Sinuate Bamboo) is an evergreen, running bamboo with arching leaves and short stems. It can grow up to 2 metres in height and can grow in shade or sun. It will grow well in pots and containers, however, it may require repotting after 2 – 3 years.
- Semiarundinaria fastuosa (Narihira Bamboo) is a running Bamboo that can grow up to 7m in height and spread over a diameter of 3 – 4m in its natural habitat. But can be contained in pots and containers and requires repotting after 2 – 4 years. It has long stems and is ideal for privacy screening.
- Sasa veitchii (Kuma-zasa) have broad leaves and small plants with running rhizomes. They grow well in heavily shaded areas. Their compact size makes them a good choice for growing in pots and containers but beware that their running roots spread quite fast and may require repotting after the first couple of years. Use large pots if necessary.
Clumping bamboo UK
Some bamboos grow better in the shaded and part-shaded areas, making them good choices for shady areas of the garden or as undergrowth. Others prefer sunny spots.
As a rule of thumb, the clump-forming and running bamboos that thrive in shades and are ideal for growing in pots and containers.
We created a table of bamboo plants from our database to help you find suitable bamboo. Here is the table for clumping bamboo. (Specific info for running bamboo is on the next table)
Click on the link to read more
Guided Price Range
Fargesia murielae Simba
£30.00 - £80.00
Fargesia murielae Winter Joy
£40.00 - £70.00
Fargesia murielae Jumbo
£40.00 - £90.00
Fargesia murielae Rufa
£20.00 - £60.00
Fargesia nitida Black Pearl
£30.00 - £70.00
Clumping bamboo Fargesia murielae group: A guide to help you find the right bamboo. (note that the prices range is indicative only. Please, check in-store or online for updated prices.
Some of the most shade-loving varieties of bamboo, growing in the UK are Fargesia, Borinda, Pleioblastus, Sasa, Sasaella and Phyllostachys.
The varieties of bamboo above are popular among bamboo growers in the UK but are not limited to what you can grow in pots and containers.
Running bamboo UK
Some varieties of the Running Bamboos can also grow perfectly in shade, and in pots and containers. However, they are tall plants and their rhizomes spread far and wide.
Guided price range
Phyllostachys aurea (Fish-pole golden bamboo)
£30.00 - £70.00
Phyllostachys nigra (Black Bamboo)
£30.00 – 100.00
Phyllostachys vivax (Golden Stem Bamboo)
£20.00 – £100.00
Pleioblastus variegatus (Dwarf White-striped Bamboo)
£12.00 – £50.00
Phyllostachys Humilis (Scottish Bamboo Plants)
£15.00 – £60.00
Use large pots and containers when growing them. Also, avoid putting the tall bamboo in windy locations.
We hope this article inspires you to grow your own Bamboo plant in the garden and enjoy the beauty of this amazing plant.
If you have any questions, comments, corrections or requests feel free to reach out to us via our social media pages or comment below. We would be delighted to hear from you.