Fargesia nitida ‘Black Pearl’ is a spectacular fountain bamboo with purply black culms and overarching green foliage. It is a clump-forming bamboo.
It grows well in shade and part shade, an ideal bamboo for north-facing gardens and balconies.
Black Pearl Bamboo features
- Identity: Fargesia nitida ‘Black Pearl’, Black Pearl Bamboo, Fountain Bamboo.
- Culm: Coloured, green to purple and black.
- Leaves: Evergreen, fountain foliage.
- Mature Height: 3 – 4 metres.
- Spread: Grow out of the base clump 2 – 3 m, not invasive.
- Hardiness: – 25 degrees Celsius.
- Uses: Grows in pots and containers, prefers shade and part-shade.
- Care: add manure or good organic compost, avoid planting in windy sites.
Check out the black bamboos at Crocus.co.uk
Grow black pearl bamboo
The fountain bamboos are from the group Fargesia nitida. They are an adorable group because they have various colours that contrast beautifully with the natural garden colour, green.
The spectacular black pearl matches the light green undergrowth and lighter colours of the built environment.
So, grow this beautiful black bamboo in the backdrop of lighter colours.
Here are 3 tips for choosing a better site for growing Fargesia nitida Black Pearl:
- Take a look at the stripy colours of the vegetation (or built environment).
- Match the colours to the colour dark culms and green leaves of black pearl bamboo.
- Then, plant the bamboo and pay attention to it in the first summer as it establishes itself.
Cost of Clump-forming bamboo plants
This cost listing below is an estimated price of the common Clump-forming bamboo plants based on the cost of 10 – 20 L pots.
The comparison table shows the price ranges (lowest and highest prices) from over 10 UK online retailers, including the major online market like Amazon and eBay.
Note that the prices are indicative of the costs of packages (P&P) and delivery charges, and are subject to changes. Use this table as a guide.
For more information on prices, check the recent online prices.
Click on the link to read more
Guided Price Range
Fargesia murielae Simba
£30.00 - £80.00
Fargesia murielae Winter Joy
£40.00 - £70.00
Fargesia murielae Jumbo
£40.00 - £90.00
Fargesia murielae Rufa
£20.00 - £60.00
Fargesia nitida Black Pearl
£30.00 - £70.00
Clumping bamboo Fargesia murielae group: A guide to help you find the right bamboo. (note that the prices range is indicative only. Please, check in-store or online for updated prices.
Guides for growing bamboo
The four articles are packed with information, tips and step-by-step guides for growing bamboo in the UK.
If you want to know how to propagate bamboo plants from seeds or culm and rhizome cuttings or grow bamboo in pots and gardens, you’ll find the info useful. Here are the links!
- 1. How to propagate bamboos from seeds
- 2. How to propagate bamboos from culm cuttings
- 3. How to propagate bamboos from rhizome cuttings
- 4. Popular Running Bamboos to Grow in pots and small gardens
Bamboo Plants and Supplies
Phyllostachys Bamboo Plants
Fargesia Bamboo Plants
Black & Golden Yellow Bamboo Plants
Bamboo-based Eco Products
Best Hand Tools for Removing Bamboo
To help you choose the right bamboo, we provide a complete Guide to Selecting Bamboo Plants. The neat sequence of 6 questions leads you to the right plant! Read and Download the guide.
You can find additional insights into bamboo growth requirements & care on our YouTube channel – Amazing Bamboo Plants.