Bamboo canes and timbers are durable materials used in many home and garden DIY projects. There are many things you can make out of bamboo. They are also flexible materials that you can cut, shape and bend to your liking. But, many DIY enthusiasts are wondering what bamboo storage boxes to make?
They are used extensively in the Asia and South Pacific regions for many purposes, from cooking food to building materials and making fun arts and crafts products. The uses are limitless!
Here we take a look at how to make bamboo 5 storage tubes for the household items that you should know. The last one is a good one!
Why bamboo storage?
Bamboos are extremely hollow in the middle, slim and long. They are best for storing pencils and pens, toothbrushes and slim many other similar everyday items.
Bamboo tubes are also best for storing secret documents, paintings and important documents. Let’s have a look at what bamboo storage boxes you can make. Here are 4 simple but stunning bamboo storage boxes and tubes you can make.
- Pencil bamboo storage box
- Water cups or mugs
- Bamboo toothbrush and toothpaste storage.
- Secret storage bamboo box or tube.
Read on to find out how to make them.
1) Pencil and pen bamboo storage box
The bamboo columns (internodes) are perfect for storing pencils, pens, highlighters and generally school stationeries and supplies.
To make the bamboo storage, you need a handsaw, sandpaper/wood file, candle and a thick (dry) bamboo cane.
- Firstly, cut the bamboo at an angle of 10 – 15cm from the node (angle-cut will make it easy to store and retrieve different lengths of pencils, pens, markers, highlighters, etc…).
- Secondly, use fine sanding paper to smoothen the edges.
- To give the storage box a brownish glow, hover it over the gentle candle heat.
- Finally, give it a clean and your bamboo storage box is ready to use.
Optionally, you can apply light varnish or wood paint to give it a great finish.
2) Bamboo water mugs
Bamboo columns (or tubes) have been used as water storage in many Asian cultures. Today, bamboo water bottles and bamboo cups are fantastic traditional products. It is natural and the water tastes better in it.
So, if you have a large bamboo pole you can make several cuts out of it.
- Firstly, the steps are similar to the steps for making bamboo storage. But instead, you’ll have to cut across the bamboo forming a cup shape.
- Secondly, give the freshly cut bamboo a good sanding.
- Then, rinse the bamboo cup in warm water and let it dry.
- Finally, your new bamboo cup is ready to use.
You can apply decorations and candle heat to give it a nice brownish glow. Do not fill the mug with hot water because it is likely to crack.
3) Bamboo toothpaste and toothbrush storage
A bamboo toothpaste and toothbrush storage tube is a fantastic little product to keep in the bathroom. It does not take too much space. You can also hang it up on the wall or place it anywhere near the sink for convenience.
- Firstly, cut the bamboo to length leaving a node to act as the base-stopper. It can either be a straight cut or diagonal cut, but it needs to be 1 cm to 2 cm shorter than the length of your toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Secondly, give the newly cut bamboo a good sanding all over. Apply heat if you want it to be nice and shiny brown.
- Then, drill a small hole underneath the bamboo bathroom storage so that water can drain out.
- Finally, your new DIY bamboo toothpaste and toothbrush storage is ready to use!
4) Secret bamboo storage box or tube
The cylindrical shape and hollow chamber along the bamboo stems are ideal for storing important documents that you like certificates and paintings.
Some paper documents are better placed in folders to keep them flat, but bamboo tubes are a better way to conceal items and put them away. In fact, you can store a lot of documents in just one bamboo tube.
So, if you want to keep a document hidden for safety purposes, hiding them in a bamboo tube could be your best option.
In fact, bamboos are tolerant to infestation and elements, so documents hidden will remain in a good condition.
How to make a Secret bamboo storage box or tube
You will need to make both the tube and its top seal.
- Firstly, select a bamboo cane with a long intersection ( or internode).
- Secondly, use a handsaw or hacksaw to cut the bamboo into a tube with one side close (node intact) and the other node completely cut out.
- Then, use fine sandpaper to smoothen the rough edges.
- The secret bamboo storage tube is done.
Next, you need to make the top seal. You’ll need a slightly small bamboo that can fit into the tube you made above.
- Cut out one side with the node intact.
- Give it a good sanding and make it fit into the bamboo tube you cut previously.
- Trim out the edges and tidy it up.
- Finally, the secret bamboo storage box or tube should be complete with its top seal in place.
How to use bamboo – ideas
In this series on ‘how to use bamboo,’ we put together a fantastic collection of ideas and tips to help you make use of bamboo plants in your garden.
Bamboos are not only stunning garden plants, they are also an eco-friendly material. You can use you can in many home and garden DIY projects. There are many things you can make out of bamboo.
We hope this article inspires you to create a beautiful bamboo hanging wall planter.
Please, let us know what you think about this project or tell us about your latest project. We would love to hear from you.