Fargesia murielae Rufa is a popular Fountain Bamboo bamboo plant to grow in the UK. It is a fast-growing and non-invasive fountain bamboo.
The upright hardy green culms, small branches and thick evergreen foliage are easy to control. This bamboo is ideal for privacy screening and hedging.
Bamboo Fargesia Rufa is a Clump-forming Bamboo commonly referred to as the Chinese Fountain bamboo or Dragon Head bamboo. It is a popular bamboo for privacy screening, hedging and potting.
Fargesia murielae Rufa Features
- Identification: Bamboo Rufa, Chinese Fountain Bamboo, Dragon Head Bamboo.
- Site: Sun, partial shade, or shade
- Soil: Moist but well-drained fertile soil.
- Uses: Privacy screening, hedging, pots, containers, or an individual planting
- Temperature hardiness: – 24 degrees Celcius
- Height: 2 – 3m
- Spread: 1.5 – 2m
- Foliage colour: Dense green, prune to get compact foliage.
- Grow and care: Fast-growing bamboo, non-invasive and undemanding.
Bamboo Plants and Supplies
Fargesia Bamboo Plants
Black, Green & Yellow Bamboo Plants
Bamboo-based Eco Products
Best Hand Tools for Digging Bamboo
Phyllostachys Bamboo Plants
Maintain Fargesia rufa [Fountain Bamboo]
You can propagate this bamboo in two ways, either by separation of the clumps or by rhizome cuttings.
Either way, it is important to propagate the new cuttings in a propagation medium (preferably in Spring) before replanting the following season.
This bamboo is a tough, hardy and evergreen clump-forming bamboo. It is non-invasive and demands less attention.
To ensure that the bamboo stays healthy, check the leaves and soil, and add mulch where necessary. If you prune this bamboo, it will form neat and compact foliage.
Put the leaves under bamboo because they contain organic traces of silica which is rich in potassium. Add mulch in early Spring and fertiliser, if necessary.
Is it an indoor or outdoor plant?
Fargesia rufa is suitable for both outdoors and indoors. The bamboo can grow to a height of 4m and spread over a diameter of 2.5 – 3m. The perfect height and spread of 2 – 3 metres make it a great plant for privacy screens and hedges.
The clump-forming bamboo is very adaptable, ideal for large pots, planters and containers. It can grow in the sun, part shade and shade.
5 Interesting facts
In addition to the unique features and qualities outlined in this article, we found these 5 facts to be interesting.
Do you know? This bamboo is
- native to China.
- a clump-forming bamboo.
- the main food source for the Giant Pandas.
- commonly called Dragon Head Bamboo or Chinese Fountain Bamboo.
- the recipient of the RHS Award of Garden Merits (AGM) for its finest qualities and noted as one of the best winterhardy plants.
Bamboo grow & care guide
We gave an in-depth insight into the running and clump-forming bamboos. The articles are packed with informational tips and step-by-step guides for bamboo growers. Here are the links!
- 1. How to propagate bamboos from seeds
- 2. How to propagate bamboos from culm cuttings
- 3. How to propagate bamboos by base separation
- 4. See our latest Bamboo Growers Guides
If you find this article helpful, leave a comment and let us know what you think. And finally, we would appreciate it if you could follow us on our YouTube Channel – Amazing Bamboo Plants.